Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Cade Lawton 
     

      Project 3 Essay 

       Within project three while exploring upon dependability, adaptability and taboo I initially responded to taboo since I could mostly affiliate or associate with it. So right off the bat I knew I wanted to do something more personal to the topic and by trying to persuade others through personal connections. I decided to focus my poster upon homosexuality and initially focus on negative religious perspectives imposed on this community however I  changed it and decided to focus more broadly towards love and separation created from hate. I feel that homosexuality or any other sexualities that do not pertain to heterosexuality face discrimination and is most definitely viewed upon as a taboo within todays society. Usually the main argument to fixing sexuality focuses around the concept that it is a choice when in fact from personal experience it is not.
       Within discussing multiple posters throughout class in the course of history I learned that many posters depict innocence, to stir emotions of the unpredictable. For example one poster our group researched depicted the slaughtering of asian people during Vietnam and using the this innocence made me want to apply it to my poster. To depict innocence I decide to show me and my significant other holding hands. With this information I leave myself vulnerable and depict innocence. However I wanted to express the barrier of the social norm created by man which is depicted through the fence. I implied for the fence to have a motion blur to show how the hate established towards homosexuality is a blinded hate that has no consideration. Within the fonts I wanted to express individuality through handwritten fonts and express a stern natured font to express societies hate. Within my word choice I wanted to rhyme hate with segregate to connect the two words and apply it to my concept. I believed my artistic expression for this piece is mostly displayed in the composition of the photograph that I took and the motion blur that was established in the picture. I will admit that my piece doesn't necessarily have the most artistic expression simply due to the fact that I wanted to keep my poster simple, which is something I perceived constantly when looking at other posters in different time periods such as Shepard Fairy’s Hope poster. I  essentially learned that a poster should consist of being noticeable, simple for the viewer and compelling with short amount of words.

      Overall I believe my poster establishes the feeling of being able to chose a partner while expressing that a sexuality is not a choice and to compare it to how hate is a choice. I also believe that this expresses the feeling that society naturally segregates people of the LGBTQ community and their lovers. This poster is a visual representation of the trying to suppress hate towards others sexualities but specifically homosexuality by stating that hate is a choice and that being of a different sexuality is not a choice, but that a lover is the main choice for other sexualities.











Progress Book









Final Outcome

No comments:

Post a Comment